Search This Blog

Monday 2 April 2018

Day 21: to Hampton Court

Last night Eddie and Mark stayed up late to watch their golfer play - and win in a playoff. Our breakfast this morning was therefore a slow and mellow affair. I was up, packed and breakfasting by about 9. We had about an hour of conversation and companionship before Paul, my driver, arrived around 10.20 am and I was off. We'd had a lovely time - so impossible to be sad on parting.

It was a miserable day- steady rain all the way.
Traffic was pretty good, considering. I was impressed with Paul's SatNav, which gave him timely and accurate information about breakdowns, road-works and blockages.

Paul had watched the last few holes of the golf last night and had also been to Cardiff to watch the Joshua-Parker boxing match that Eddie and Mark watched on Saturday night. Thanks to them, I could keep up a conversation with no knowledge whatever!


It was only in the last mile and a half that we were reduced to a bumper-to-bumper crawl because of road works near Hampton Court. That mile and a half took about 20 minutes, delivering us to The Mitre about 12.40pm.

It took a few minutes for the hotel to sort out my booking and ascertain that my room had, in fact, been serviced and I could move in. The recently-appointed Manager, a Scot, generously carried my luggage up the 4 steps and took me to my room, which is next to the first room I had in this hotel, opening on to the internal courtyard.


It's a pleasant outlook, even if it is hardly the weather for sitting outside!

The room is large, light and comfortable.















I repaired to the Bar for soup - and a couple of accompaniments, before checking out the Gardinarium a couple of doors down the road. There are couple of things worth returning to check out.



I had a bit of trouble remaining awake for the remainder of the afternoon but had a shower, washed my hair and made a coffee with the room's Nespresso machine.

I was keen to eat in the hotel tonight and check out the river. It was running high.










The restaurant that had been busy at lunch was deserted.

The waiter was apologetic. I had, it seems, had the last glass of Pinot Grigio in the hotel with my lunch.  The wild mushroom tortellini I chose was now ravioli. A combination of new management and a wedding over the weekend made for disruption. Both the Petit Ballon Blanc and the ravioli were good.

The swans appeared and made their way, seemingly effortlessly, against the swift current.

Even in the grey sky, the sunset was worth seeing.



 










Back in my room, I have been writing this to the accompaniment of  Painting the Holy Land with Lachlan Goudie on BBC4. There are lovely detailed shots of art works.







I have, over the last few days, made a bit of progress on my zenbroidery.  Tomorrow I need to be up and over at Hampton Court by 9.30am for the first day of my class at the RSN.

1 comment:

  1. I've been very short on time, but a note to say I'm really enjoying this info. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete