Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 March 2018

Day 2: a little bit of Museum Mile

Although I had no trouble getting to sleep last night, I woke around 4 am and did not get back to sleep. I happily read, but was not full of beans during the day.


I had intended to visit a couple of the Museums in the Museum Mile. Yesterday Christine had supplied  me with a map and information.

My intention was to walk to the Foundling Museum, spend a couple of hours there, have a look at Lamb's Conduit Street, walk back to the British Library, then investigate both St Pancras International Train Terminal and the Granary.







It didn't quite work out like that. Before I reached my first destination, my sciatica had kicked in quite strongly so I made a stop at the British Library.


I was fascinated by the plaques in the courtyard floor. I hadn't noticed them before, although I'm sure they were there - dozens of them. I am presuming they are literally vents in case of fire in the basements


I made for the Treasures Room to revisit the Lindisfarne Gospels, the Magna Carta and a host of other manuscripts. Unfortunately, photography is not allowed. I do, however, enjoy visiting them - like old friends.

There was filming going on and a lot of internal construction in preparation for the next big Exhibition - on the voyages of Captain Cook. It doesn't open util 27 April.

























I was rather keen to visit the Foundling Museum - having seen Tim Wanacott do a segment on it's history and treasures on an old Antiques Roadshow. However, I I was experiencing pain and numbness in my left leg so decided to curtail my walk. I walked past the St Pancras Hotel











and around the corner - to capture the odd assortment of buildings surrounding the St Pancras International Terminal.














I'm sure Michael Portillo must have, at some time, have waxed lyrical about the scale and beauty of the buildings.












Although I wandered around amongst the cafes, shops and flower sellers, I decided against the Selfie Trail.  I am, after all, not much of a fan of selfies!  It is a much used and accommodating building.
I walked back around the back streets, having abandoned all thought of walking either to Granary Square or the Foundling Museum. There are some noteworthy buildings along the way as well as memorials.








I returned to the hotel in time to have a late lunch of green pea soup.




For dinner I once again indulged in duck. Again, delicious.






The Wesley Hotel restaurant is very much a city hangout. As I still notice with business travel, the players are mostly male. Last night there were 31 diners when I was having dinner, of whom 5 were female. Most appear to be local workers - in sales or banking, eating together after work, or friends catching up.

https://www.museum-mile.org.uk/I also noted the preferred footwear of young workers - white being male, women in short, smart boots..


I am now tired but have managed to stay awake until 10pm. Tomorrow I have an 11.30 train to Oxenholme. I'm hoping to sleep well and pack in  the morning. Very much looking forward to this next stage - the main reason for coming.









2 comments:

  1. Great pics. Sorry about your sciatica playing up though. Portillo did cover the St Pancras Hotel. George Gilbert Scott built some fantastic buildings. Sue not Yogi. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have anticipated the sciatica. I’ve been working on it with physio and live in hope! It’s manageable. I should have planned on a smaller scale to start with. There was plenty of interest in the closer precinct! Must look up GGS buildings. Xx

      Delete