Search This Blog

Thursday 15 March 2018

Day 3 To Windermere



I slept a bit better last night - a couple of wake-ups, but little trouble returning to sleep. I woke finally around 6.30am.                             
I was able, therefore, to shower, pack and breakfast in a leisurely fashion - even following my friend  Christine’s advice to have a Full English Breakfast.

I had plenty of time to ensure all my various devices were fully charged for the journey. My phone, of course, had been charging all night,






It had rained during the night. The streets were wet and there was still a light drizzle. It is an easy walk to Euston to catch my train to Oxenholme in the Lakes District. There was no platform information so I settled into the Virgin lounge to stitch.


 We were off on time - a fairly full train.










I thought of Christine as we whizzed through Watford.











Our first stop was what I had assumed, from announcements, was Warrington. Banky!





Then Wigan.
Then Wigan


and lovely Preston station where our train passes under the panelled glass ceiling.














At Lancaster I couldn’t help wondering if the brick retaining wall kept the bears at bay. My maternal grandmother was a Bearcraft - a name given by the Duke of Lancaster to the keepers of the bears he imported and kept in his bear park.










Andre, the same taxi driver who picked me up last year, was waiting at Oxenholme and filled me in on his friends, family and business on the scenic drive to Windermere.

The Ryebeck has changed little. I accepted the first floor room they had allocated me. I had requested a ground floor room, but my knee is no longer preventing me mounting stairs . Ground floor rooms are smaller, and the young women on duty carried my luggage, so here I am, in comfort with a view!  My only disappointment is a shower over the bath.







It is peaceful - although even here there is the occasional beeping of reversing vehicles!

The wifi hasn’t improved - only effective in the bar and lounge, but they are working on it! The good news is that I have quite good phone reception - not the case last year- and, as my room is above the lounge, the wifi has intermitent reach here.





There were 6 of us here tonight at the beginning of dinner. Genevieve arrived soon after. We had a lot to catch up on - and a lot of laughter. I won't post a photo of dinner until I have sought permission from those present.

The Retreat begins tomorrow afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. So happy to see your blog. Thanks to Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Georgia. Glad the link worked for you!

      Delete