Search This Blog

Sunday 11 March 2018

On my way again

Here I was at Adelaide Airport, waiting for a flight to Melbourne, where I board my plane to London via Dubai. I could fly direct from Adelaide to Dubai, but choose not to. The transition in Dubai is much easier on a continuing plane, so I choose to travel on a single flight number from Melbourne.

My luggage this time, includes the same book-through bag I used last time (technically small enough to carry onboard but well out of my way in the hold), the carry-on bag I bought on the way home from London last year because the one I was using was heavy and without wheels - hard on the long walks in international terminals, and my faithful travel handbag made by Louis Cardini in Sydney. It has served me know for close on two decades.

The carry-on sits nicely on top of the other suitcase so I can manage it on trains.Now I have shed my main suitcase I can move around airports easily with my laptop, iPad, Kindle, embroidery - and the outer layer of clothes I will need when I swap Adelaide's 33C day for London's 10C. This is, of course, much better than it would have been a week ago!






Back at my apartment, my wall-plants are all standing in tubs of water. Friends from Sydney are staying for a week to enjoy the Adelaide Festival and will top up the water when they leave.

Frustratingly, SA Water notified residents that they would be repairing a watermain today and our water would be cut off from 9am-3pm. This meant organising and watering the plants yesterday, filling the bath and various receptacles with water, and getting up at 6.45am to wash my bedlinen. When I left home at 2.35pm, the water was still running - I don't believe it was ever cut off!

On the flight to Melbourne I realised I had forgotten to pick up the British Pounds I had carefully ordered and paid for in advance, to be picked up from Travelex at Adelaide Airport. How could I have simply forgotten? Too pleased to have made it to the airport, preoccupied with organising my blog, emails, credit cards and luggage to remember money!  And, of course, enjoying the Qantas licorice allsorts!

In Melbourne, I went straight to a Travelex counter. Lyna made phone calls, sent emails, tapped away and eventually organised for the order to be transferred to her in Melbourne. I fretted around the international checkin area, observing back-packers and families with fractious children. 45 minutes later I had my pounds, braved security (chosen, of course for the explosive substance scan) and immigration, walked past the Designer shops, 4900 steps to the Qantas Club Lounge (three cheers for the wheelie carry-on!) where I am enjoying a Bundaberg Ginger Beer.

I have two embroidery projects to work on between here and London. One is the Estense project I began at the January Embroiderers; Guild Certificate Workshop, taught by Christine Bishop. If this proves too demanding (as it might) I have another Zenbroidery piece as back-up. I have completed my pre-retreat work on Dorothy Wordsworth's postbag. The link is to my embroidery blog post about the bag.

So far the Estense has been soothing.

I'm planning to sleep to Dubai. My next post should be from London - and a bit more interesting!

4 comments:

  1. So no problems taking needles in the cabin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, embroidery needles are not a problem. Scissors are - and sail- makers’ needles (the 6” variety). I know, because I once did it unwittingly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jillian,
    I'm so glad to see that your are taking this trip again this year. Though terribly jealous, I really do enjoy reading about your adventures and seeing all your pics. It's almost as good as going along! Thanks!
    Shelley in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry I won’t be seeing you, Shelley, but I’ll do my best to provide vicarious pleasure! My original plan was to do this every two years, but I got sucked in badly last year. It’s a big haul from Australia - but at 71 I’m living in the present!

    ReplyDelete